quinta-feira, 19 de maio de 2016

Floriography with Painted Zeros - An Interview


A origem do nome Painted Zeros diz muito sobre e o que é Floriography, debute deles, ops dela, já explico o porque. Mas voltando a origem, o nome Painted Zeros foi extraído nada mais nada menos do que da letra de "Teenage Riot" (That's the hero / we paint a zero / on his hand". Dito isso, talvez seria desnecessário maiores referências, mas ainda vale dizer que temos uma discípula da escola Pixies, Pavement Yo La Tengo. 

Sim, uma discípula, o Painted Zeros é Katie Lau, a garota toca tudo, grava tudo no disco, e ao vivo conta com dois amigos para fazer a alegria e, claro, fazer os tímpanos da rapaziada arder um pouco.

Escute alto, se apaixone, e escute mais alto ainda, disco espetacular, só isso.

***** Interview with Painted Zeros *****


Q. When did Painted Zeros start? Tell us about the history...
Painted Zeros is the name I chose for my main recording/songwriting outlet. I started writing songs under Painted Zeros almost 4 years ago when I was finishing up college. The name comes from a Sonic Youth lyric in Teenage Riot (That's the hero / we paint a zero / on his hand). I always loved composing and writing songs when I was a teenager, but didn't feel confident enough to share them with the world until I was ~20 years old.

Q: Who are your influences?
My first instrument was violin, so a lot of romantic classical composers like Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Beethoven, then I got into minimalist and contemporary composers like Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Ingram Marshall. I really liked punk and screamo when I was an angsty pre/teenager, so City of Caterpillar, Saetia, Rites of Spring, Jawbreaker, Choking Victim. Also always loved Elliott Smith and his guitar playing, as well as Bright Eyes and Oberst's lyrical themes/the interesting instrumentation they used.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
Tough question! But if I had to choose:
Elliott Smith -- Either/Or
Yo La Tengo -- Painful
Kanye West -- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Broken Social Scene -- S/T
Beach House -- Bloom

...but also recently I've been obsessed with Fleetwood Mac's Rumours ! And also Built To Spill's There's Nothing Wrong with Love is perfect! This question is too hard!

Q. How do you feel playing live?
I used to get nervous playing shows, but I really love playing live now. I love connecting with an audience and feeling like we are having a special, transient shared experience together. It can be an amazing feeling. We just went on tour across the country for 35 days, and we played a few shows with another Brooklyn band Haybaby in El Paso, Phoenix, and San Diego, and we were all really sick and exhausted from SXSW, but they still fucking killed their set each night. They were seriously inspirational to me and to Jim (bassist) and Jared (drummer). I feel like we're a better band from seeing Haybaby refuse to let their health problems or a bad turnout get in the way of playing their hearts out every single night.

Q. How do you describe Painted Zeros sounds?
Dreamy, melodic, layered, deceptive.


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
I write and record everything in my practice space. I normally make a quick shitty demo first, then start a new session on my laptop where I record drums first, then the guitars, then bass, and finally vocals. I mix while I record, and add auxiliary instruments like synth, violin, tambourine etc after the bare bones are laid down.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
Japanese Breakfast just released an incredible and moving album called "Psychopomp." Everything Michelle makes is gold. Bethlehem Steel are our super homies and Becca is an amazing songwriter. Haybaby, Infinity Girl... I love Stove a lot (Steve's old band Ovlov was amazing) Pile,--all of the Exploding in Sound bands that Dan Goldin releases are great. Love love love Mitski, Izzy True (our label-mates), Vagabon, Eskimeaux, the list goes on and on.....

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
Pixies! Doolittle is 4ever. I would be Black Francis. Or Pavement!

Q: What are your plans for the future?
I've already started writing the next album! Perhaps a split 7" in-between, since albums take a long time to release, even when they are completely "finished."

Q: Any parting words?
Thank you for writing me about this interview! I enjoyed your questions :)
*
*
*
Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/paintedzeros
https://paintedzeros.bandcamp.com/