sexta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2014

Last Train To Satansville with Narrow Head - An Interview




Imagine um cruzamento doentio entre Siouxsie and The Banshees e Swervedriver via Nirvana.

Esses malucos do Narrow Head me soam basicamente isso, um grunge noise dark acelerado por vezes em outras nem tanto, mas é o ponto de sustentação do Ep Far Removed lançado lá no início do ano e que chega com alguns meses de atraso aqui no TBTCI.

Todavia antes atrasado do que deixar passar despercebido a potência do Narrow Head, noise cerebral e escuro, pra agradar (ou não) aos diversos fãs de suas matrizes.

A mim, agradou e muito, e quem venha mais.

***** Interview with Narrow Head *****


Q. When did Narrow Head starts, tell us about the history...
Q1: Jacob: Narrow Head started early summer of 2013. It's a weird story actually, it was more of an idea than a band at first. I lived in Houston and I would drive to Dallas to practice/record. I was sort of sketched out about the whole driving from 4 hours just to write songs, but i quickly got over that. It wasn't really until our first show when it clicked to me that this was a band and I wanted to push it as hard as I could. I met Ryan through the hardcore scene and I think we were both at a point in our lives where we grew bored of what was happening around us. Hardcore was getting boring and we wanted to do something new. We wanted to be different. me and Ryan have always seemed to be on the same page about things which is why this band started in the first place. Or at least that's my take of it.

Ryan: Yeah, at first it sketched all of us out with the 4 hr drive between cities but none of us even think about that anymore. Texas has seemed to grow smaller in the last year.

Q: Who are your influences?
Q2: Jacob: There's so many artist and bands I want to name but I'll keep it short. I guess my main influences would be the sounds of the late 80's early 90's. Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Failure, Jawbox, Seaweed, and Helmet. The 90's emo "punk" era has always a big influence to me also.

Ryan: I mostly agree with Jacob. I'd probably only add Nirvana and Hum to that list.

Q. Made a list of 5 albuns of all time…
Q3: Jacob: No particular order.
Dinosaur Jr. - You're living all over me
SSD - The Kids Will Have Their Say
Jawbreaker - Dear You
Deftones - White Pony
UGK - Too Hard To Swallow

Ryan: Nirvana - Nevermind
Failure - Fantastic Planet
Slowdive - Souvlaki/Pygmalion (I go back and forth)
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me

Q. How do you feel playing live?
Q3: Jacob: playing live and hearing myself live always seems to be a completely different experience for me rather than when I'm listening to the record. I never feel like we're loud enough, but it's cool.

Ryan: Yeah, we're never as loud as I want to be.

Q. How do you describe Narrow Head sounds?
Q4: Jacob: Loud, Hard, rock music layered with distortion and effects.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
Q5: Jacob: Recording wasn't too complicated. We had the songs down and we knew what we wanted.
Post recording is a different story. Kinda went back and forth about the mixes and it took a while for us to finally be content with the way mixes came out. But we reached a point where we knew it wasn't going to get any better so we just stopped worrying about it. It's been out almost a year and I still listen to it and wish we did something different.

Ryan: Trying to get a mix we were happy with was frustrating I was ready to off top kill the record. Looking back though, we did the best we could with what we had so it's cool. Definitely doing things differently next time around.


Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
Q6: Jacob: DIIV is a good band to check out in 2014. The Balinda Butchers are sick too

Ryan: DIIV is sick as fuck. So is Creepoid and Destruction Unit.

Q: Which bands you love to made a cover version?
Q7: Jacob: Haha I've always wanted to do Blue Boy by Texas is the reason. Or a Far cover

Ryan: Petals by Hole

Q: What´s the plans for future....
Q8: Jacob: Tour tour tour tour tour

Ryan: Tour

Q: Any parting words?
Q9: Jacob: love u

Ryan: Thanks for the interview
*
*
*
Thanks guys

https://narrowheadtx.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/narrowheadtx