sábado, 10 de outubro de 2015

The World Outside with The Fashion Focus - An Interview



Brian Young é a mente criadora das viagens sonhadoras e hipnóticas do The Fashion Focus, ao vivo ele conta com Rocky Durand e Lance Beckford, sempre em performances que evocam fantasmas de The Cure ou ainda Lloyd  e uma certa linhagem de bandas acostumadas a buscarem a canção perfeita, leia-se The Radio Dept., The Bilinda Butchers.

The World Outside a estreia do The Fashion Focus que saiu a pouco mais de dois meses, não pode passar despercebido aos iniciados e principalmente aficionados em dreampop de primeira grandeza.

***** Interview with The Fashion Focus *****


Q. When did The Fashion Focus start? tell us about the history…
The Fashion Focus started in 2011. I had put some demo’s together and been passing them around to a few people. I was really missing being in a band as I had taken a break from them and was focusing more on engineering and production work. The opportunity arose to put out an album so jumped at the chance and I went straight to work recording it, and put quite simply, that was the beginning.

Q: Who are your influences?
Literally anything and everything I see or hear influences me. I’m a sucker for a good melody, concept, or an interesting production. There are always bands like The Cure, The Jesus and Mary Chain, or Depeche Mode that I come back to time and time again, but those are like the classics to me. There was always interesting music in my house when I was growing up. My mom and brother were always bringing home import records of UK new wave groups or obscure punk bands when I was young. I was very lucky to be exposed to some really great stuff. My parents bought me this little turntable when I was 3, I think that really opened up the world of music to me. I honestly can’t remember a time in my life that I wasn’t being influenced by music.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
5 albums of all time would be hard, there are just too many to break down to 5. How about 10 tracks I listened to this morning?

The The - Kingdom of Rain
The Church - Replated/Chromium
Smashing Pumpkins - Age of Innocence
Massive Attack - Butterfly Caught
SPC ECO - Breathe
The Cure - Us or Them
Pete Yorn - Undercover
Ride - Nowhere
Curve - No Escape From Heaven
She Wants Revenge - Reasons

Q. How do you feel playing live?
I really enjoy playing live. Watching the evolution of a song going from the studio to the stage. It is one of my favorite parts of being a musician. All of the songs from the album were written in the studio, so when we performed them live for the first time, it was like watching these songs come to life, breath, and take on their own personality, and now they just continue to evolve.

Q. How do you describe The Fashion Focus sounds?
Moody Atmospheric Rock


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
When I was recording The World Outside, I locked myself in the studio for about 4 months and wrote as much as possible. I had been revisiting a lot of early 80’s post punk albums by The Cure, PiL and New Order. I recorded the album myself but I wanted it to feel like a band, like those classic records I was listening to at the time. I ended up using a lot of first takes, capturing the raw performances, and I wanted everything to be played live to tape with as little programming as possible unless the song specifically needed the computerized feel of a sequencer.

Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
I have to admit that I’m not really on the cutting edge of music discovery. I tend to rely on recommendations from friends, a couple of newer bands I have been enjoying lately are SPC ECO and CHVRCHES.

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
There are so many bands I would love to cover. When we first started playing live we were covering Perfect Kiss by New Order which was a fun song to do. We’ll have to see what the future brings.

Q: What are your plans for the future?
There are a lot of new things coming from The Fashion Focus in the next few months. I’m currently working on a new album that will be out in February on the Academy of Sound/Manimal Label Group, so stay posted for new music and videos coming soon, along with a tour in the new year.

Q: Any parting words?
Don’t let anyone tell you that you are not good enough. Many thanks to The Blog That Celebrates Itself, your support is appreciated! Be sure to check out The Fashion Focus album ’The World Outside’ at www.thefashionfocus.com and please follow us on Facebook and all the usual social media sites for all the latest updates
*
*
*
Thanks

https://thefashionfocus.bandcamp.com/releases