Um dos eps que tenho mais escutado neste início de ano certamente é o Washer, estreia do LADY, quarteto nova iorquino que pegou MBV e New Order e condensou tudo nas seis viciantes e sonhadoras músicas de seu debute.
A fórmula é conhecida lógico, só que o frescor é o mesmo de ouvir os clássicos.
On My Mind segunda faixa de Washer exemplifica tudo. Foda.
Q. When did LADY started, tell us about the history...
1. We were playing music for two years or so, starting with a Misfits cover set at a party in 2011, and then writing some songs. We had a couple of drummers come and go, and when we had Pat join on drums in 2013, we all got a lot more serious and wrote a lot more songs, and established the name LADY. We've definitely fallen into a kind of groove where we get each other, and it makes writing and communicating a lot easier.
Q: Who are your influences?
2. My Bloody Valentine, Stone Sroses, New Order, Slowdive, Brian Eno, The Smiths
Q. Make a list of 5 albuns of all time…
3. (1) My Bloody Valentine - LOVELESS
(2) Neutral Milk Hotel - AN AIRPLANE OVER THE SEA
(3) The Strokes - IS THIS IT?
(4) Paul Simon - S/T
(5) The Smiths - HATEFUL OF HOLLOW
Q. How do you feel playing live?
4. We love it. Nothing is more exciting to us. We bring a certain energy to the stage, and it gives us an added feeling of communal energy. Plus we find the live show is very important for us. It's the most raw form of feedback we can get, like to see how we're doiing as a band from the crowd's reaction. I mean it took us a little while to get the hang of things in terms of the levels of sound and such. It's a tough genre to nail down because of all the3 effects and noise that go into it, but we're definltely growing more confident with every show we play, and it's only getting more fun.
Q. How do you describe LADY sounds?
5. There's a very melancholy base to our sound, melodically. A chaotic beauty that we strive for, heavily focused on melody and pleasant sounding chordal progressions, but ridden with noise and effects, creating a wall of sound.
Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
6. Long. We practiced a ton leading up to going into the studio, because we wanted to record the songs live. And we did five songs over the course of every Sunday in April of 2014, and then three days before our last session, where we just had to finish one song, do vocals and mixing, the studio flooded. Even though everything we did was saved, it took them roughly nine monts to relocate and reopen, during which time we wrote a bunch of new stuff. We finally got back in the studio and finished everything last month.
Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
7. Merchandise, Ovlov, Pile, Wildhoney, Nude Beach, HOLY, Angel Olsen, Advaeta (just saw them open for Moon Duo and we were blown away).
Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
8. We have a pretty sick version of "En Gallop" by Joanna Neusom, virtually taking a beautiful song done solely on the harp and turning it into a loud shoegazy song. We've also been kicking around the idea of a cool cover for "This is the One" by The Stone Roses
Q: What´s the plans for future....
9. We're going to do a cassette release for this first EP, and play as mnuch as we can until the end of the year, when we hope to have finished writing a new LP, which we'll be looking to record.
Q: Any parting words?
10. Thanks so much for checking us out and asking these most excellent questions! Tudo de bom!