terça-feira, 16 de fevereiro de 2016

Silence After The Rain with Cave Shine - An Interview


Taylor McClain é a mente por trás do gélido e hipnótico, Cave Shine.

Peças construídas sob uma aura espectral envolvendo shoegaze e pos punk em sua faceta mais densa, foi exatamente dessa maneira que Silence After The Rain, primeiro EP do Cave Shine foi criado.

Tudo é esfumaçado, excitante e melancólico, com a beleza sendo construída através de delays e reverbs.

Um estreia em grandioso estilo.


***** Interview with Cave Shine *****



Q. When did Cave Shine start? Tell us about the history...
A: Cave Shine began in August of 2014 (somewhat unbeknownst to me even) as a bedroom project for solo stuff on a former bandmate and friend's guitar.Sort of began as something of an outlet for the emptiness I was feeling at the time. I'd go to class or work, and all I could think about was getting back to that guitar and effects setup to write more. Definitely humble writings compared to where I feel I've progressed to now. But no less, it's where these songs off the debut EP gained their foundations.

Q: Who are your influences?
A: My influences, to be more concise than the obvious would certainly begin with my family, friends, and wife. But more specifically, my experiences with them and how those moments culminated to become something transgressive. I was very sick in late 2013/most of 2014. That phase, while I didn't know at the time, would serve to inspire some personally moving artwork through music. I began searching for music that I felt could be an escape from the severity of my living stress. I suppose you could say that's where my love for effected/dreamy music came from (i.e. shoegaze). That aura of music helped bring rest to a restless mind.

Q. Make a list of 5 albuns of all time…
A: Top 5 albums of all time is TOUGH. But if I had to adequately answer that now, I'd say (in no particular order):
Everything Else Matters, by Pinkshinyultrablast
Souvlaki, by Slowdive
Benji, by Sun Kil Moon
Guilty of Everything, by Nothing
Lost In The Dream, by The War On Drugs

Q. How do you feel playing live?
A: As far as playing live goes, I'm still working out the kinks on getting this project off the ground. But, it should be coming together soon I think.


Q. How do you describe Cave Shine sounds?
A: I'd optimistically describe the sound of Cave Shine as more of an atmosphere than a song. Hopefully, listeners can hear the EP from that perspective as well. I've been told it sounds like dream-rock by a good deal of friends, so I'll run with that term for now.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
A: The process of recording the EP was quite simple really. I asked a friend of mine named Ben Mercer (Wet Bandit Studios, Boone NC) if he'd be willing to entertain my aspirations to put out some solo music, for which I had already made rough demos on at home. He was totally the dude for the job. We bounced ideas off of eachother during and outside of recording time. The actual time spent in the studio really only amounted to about 10 or 12 hours total, spread across a couple months. Really easy and stress-free.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
A: Up and coming bands I'd recommend are all local artists or people I've met along the way. Such being, Serfs (out of Charlotte, NC), Ernie (also of Charlotte), From Bears (Boone, NC), and Funeral Advantage (Boston, MA). As far as larger bands I'm pretty excited for, I'm strongly awaiting the new DIIV LP set for a February release, and Nothing's new album to come out this spring.

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
A: Tough to say who'd be the most fun to cover live, but it'd likely be something New Wave or 80's stuff. We'll see!

Q: What are your plans for the future?
A: Future plans are pretty much just to get to playing this EP live and continuing to write music that means a great to deal to me, and hopefully to others as well.

Q: Any parting words
A: Thanks for letting me rant! Cheers to good music
*
*
*
Thanks

https://caveshine.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/Cave-Shine-916959035051047/