terça-feira, 18 de dezembro de 2018

Under The Weather with Candy - An Interview


O australiano de Melbourne, Calum Newton é a mente criativa sob a alcunha de Candy.

Projeto que navega por entre o dreampop, o jangle e todas as variáveis fofinhas da música independente.

"Under The Weather" é o quarto disco do cara, e se conecta com o que de melhor tem sido concebido no mundo dos sonhos sonoros atualmente.

Perfeito para momentos de ternura e paixões agudas. Escute bem acompanhado.



***** Interview with Candy *****


Q. When did Candy begin? Tell us about the history...
I’ve had this solo project for ages. I’d say probably since 2012-ish. There were a bunch of EP’s and an album or two I’d put out before ‘Wrapped In Plastic’ but I thought that release was just a proper step above the rest so I deleted all the other ones maybe one day I’ll put them out on a limited tape run or something I doubt it. Honestly though it only feel like a real thing from this year I’d say. This album feels like a real piece of work and playing shows around Australia just makes it feel way more legitimate.

Q: Who are your influences?
At the moment I’ve been getting into Jen Cloher & Kurt Vile a bunch. Around the time I wrote ‘Under The Weather’ I was listening to The Cure, Black Marble, DIIV, Beach Fossils - all that kind of stuff.

Q. Make a list of 5 albuns of all time…
5 albums of all time wow that’s honestly a real toughie (in no particular order) I’ll go with;

Sonic Youth - Sister
This was such a hard album for me to get into. I was probably around 14 or something and I’d listened to Dirty before and hated it but I wanted to give them another go cause my parents reckoned they were great and I wanted to be cool. I’ve noticed in hindsight that some of the albums I’ve loved the most are one’s I listen to and don’t really like but on a second or third listen start to understand what’s going on. When you pay money for a CD as a kid you’re damn well gonna enjoy that album - and oh boy is it really good. Huge fan of it and the guitar / production is just killer.

Beach Fossils - Self Titled
I walked into JBHIFI (like a big tech / music / whatever you want store in Australia) and bought this album, Wavves - King Of The Beach & The Drums - Self Titled. I can’t believe how lucky I was, I had no idea about any of these bands and just liked the covers and read the recommendations. All of them are great album but there’s a special place in my heart for that Beach Fossils album. I hadn’t really heard such stripped back production and it was so charming. I’ve been trying to capture that feeling in my music since I can remember and I still can’t do it.

Jen Cloher -Self Titled
Okay so I’ve only recently gotten into this album but damn does it hit. It’s got so much sarcasm & restrained aggression. I don’t think there’s 1 song on that album that let’s it down and I’m stoked I got around to fully appreciating this album as much as it deserves.

Fugazi - Steady Diet Of Nothing
Ian Makaye is so good, like minor threat / Egg Hunt / Emrace are all really cool but I think this album by Fugazi takes the cake. I don’t think it’s a singles album either like you put it on start to finish and that’s how it should be for this record. It sucks you in. It’s just really good.

Craft Spells - Idle Labor
This is what I’ve been trying to rip off since hearing it. It doesn’t get much better than After The Moment & Party Talk. Second album is just as good and so’s the EP but I love the electronic drums on this album.

Q. How do you feel playing live?
I never thought this would be a proper project so originally I was really nervous about doing it live. I’ve come to realise it’s actually just really fun. I made a proper effort to actually learn my lyrics and stuff which makes the whole experience less frightening.

Q. How do you describe Candy´s sounds?
I reckon it sounds like an old boot feels (specifically a Blundstone #500). A little loose, weathered and irritating to the skin but warm and homely all the same.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
I just did it all at home. It gets a bit frustrating at times it’s all very self motivated to get the mixing / mastering done and you can get a bit lost in terms of where the song just needs to be better or where the production needs work. I love it though. It was all done in logic and just DI’d guitars cause I was scared of my neighbour getting angry at me.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
House Deposit
I’ve seen them a handful of times now and it never disappoints. I’m very excited to hear more recorded stuff cause all the songs live are wonderful. For fans of twerps / dick diver
https://open.spotify.com/track/7w55Gekvam1ZNS1f30KLgg?si=nJeR3tjIRjmKbM3Kq71vFQ

Slush
No link here cause they haven’t got anything out yet but keep your ear to the ground cause what they’ve got coming is so good. They mightn’t agree but I’d say for fans of Green Day but like Dookie era Green Day but instead of dudes singing about masturbating it’s women/non-binary people singing love songs to menstrual cups.

Pool Shop
Brisbane band who only have 2 songs out but I think the project’s been around for awhile? Seen them live a couple times now and the most recent one they brought out a slide and postured up some dreamy alt country which is very much what I’m about at the moment. For fans of Seapony / Hatchie.
https://open.spotify.com/artist/34xsY8WvOLDGnDY5x8HmSW?si=xfpZUaaDT4qkf8lC9YFKBQ

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
This Heart Attack by Faker

Q: What are your plans for the future?
Hopefully I’ll be having a nice time and living well - that’s all you can hope for at the end of the day isn’t it?

Q: Any parting words?
I hope you’re having a good time and try not to let those little things boil over and ruin a nice home made pasta. Let it simmer and let it go.
*
*
*
Thanks

https://candy-band.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/iamcandymusic/