sábado, 27 de junho de 2015

The House Of Mystery with The Red Daggers - An Interview


The House of Mystery é o debute do The Red Daggers, diretamente de Austin com seu psych folk apocalíptico enfincado da cabeças aos pés numa aura de garagem tipicamente 60´s em formato lo fi.

Sabores ácidos percorrem as dezesseis faixas do disco, sempre transmitindo o amargor já bem conhecido das oscilações delirantes e hipnóticas e cíclicas ficando claro a influência do Spacemen 3.

Um disco para iniciados e adoradores de viagens sonoras.

***** Interview with The Red Daggers *****


Q. When did The Red Daggers started, tell us about the history...
Well, The Red Daggers started a few months ago, I contacted Jesse James over sound cloud. I liked the psychedelic garage vibe of his solo work and we started to work together. We have similar musical tastes and it seemed like a good fit. I started laying out the bones of our songs and would send the files to Jesse, he is great at production and playing so the songs came together nicely. We live in an interesting age, technically The Red Daggers are a virtual band, I live in Canada and Jesse lives in Texas. We haven't met but hopefully in the future I will visit Texas and we can meet. I like the direction of our project, we both are excited to release our first tape through Shake Records (Victoria BC) and Wiener Records (USA). It should be coming out in the next month or two. For now, a lot of the songs are on band camp and sound cloud.

Q: Who are your influences?
I would say the two biggest influences are The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dead Skeletons. I think Anton (Brian Jonestown Massacre) is a bloody genius. His musical output is amazing, I love all his records. Jon (Dead Skeletons) is also a great inspiration, he is a great person and I really connect with his art and music. I also love Spacemen 3 and Suicide, both legendary bands in their own right. Also, Im influenced by some of my friends projects and people I have known. My closest friend Alex is in a band called Holy Data, they are finishing up their first album, so far it sounds amazing. I really am inspired by my friend Katie K's electronic project Chanteclair, she was really big in inspiring me to make music. My Australian friend Luke is an amazing artist and has a great project called Reichelt. Finally, a girl named Emily also inspired me to play music, great voice and talent. I love all these people.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
1. Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben
2.Karen Dalton - In My Own Time
3.Dead Skeletons - Dead Magick
4.Buffullo Springfield - Selftitled
5.The Flying Burrito Bros- The Gilded Palace Of Sin

Q. How do you feel playing live?
I enjoy it, I have only done it once for one of my other projects The Unquiet Grave. I would like to do more in the future.

Q. How do you describe The Red Daggers sounds?
Well, its deeply rooted in 60's psychedelic rock and more edgy post punk stuff too.
Its lo-fi psychedelia with dark undertones.


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs?
Well I have a very small home studio, I usually get some drums down and them noodle around with the guitar, I have a good few effect boxes which help get the tones Im looking for.

Then I send whatever I have done to Jesse over email and his works his magic.

I don't write down any lyrics I may sing, I use an app on my iPod to record vocals. It has built in effects, I like the lo fi sound of it.

Q. Which new bands do you recommended
1. Holy Data
2. Chanteclair
3. Riechelt
4. Morningface
5. François de Benedetti
6. Happy Sadness (Jason Brown)
7. Jared Brown
8.Dinosaur. Dinosaur
9.Nanimal
10.Newgrange
11. King Brude (Marty Smith)

Q: Which bands would you love to make a cover version of?
Well, I have done a few covers (recorded and live). I did a cover of Suicide's (Frankie Teardrop) for my NoWave project Razor Midnight. Did a Spacemen 3 cover (When Tomorrow Hits) a Rowland S Howard cover Shivers, and a Silver Mt Zion song (Film) Unfinished. I would like to do a Gram Parsons song.

Q: What´s the plan for the future....
Well, we are preparing to release our first album: The House Of Mystery, we will continue to record after that. I have a good few projects on the go,

They are: The Unquiet Grave, Blakkr Nio, Razor Midnight, Gravity's Rainbow, Black Witch and Dead Land. I will be keep on recording with these projects too. Its been nice to get some press for my work. I have been reviewed by: The Quietus, The Needle Drop, Silent Shout, Weird Canada, Boston Hassle, Ride The Tempo, Attn Magazine and other notable blogs.

I might also make some merch for The Red Daggers.

So I have lots on the go.

Q: Any parting words?
Thanks for the awesome interview, its great to see independent blogs popping up and showcasing underground bands. I am part of a great little community with a few people like: Jesse James, King Brude, Happy Sadness, Morningface and Newgrange. I will continue to record and put out material. Thanks Renato for the support and questions.
*
*
*
Thanks

https://thereddaggers.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/thereddaggers