quinta-feira, 7 de maio de 2015

White Noise Revisited with The Dirty Sun - An Interview


James Ivey é The Dirty Sun.

Um potente mix de electro, synth e noise nos moldes do The Soft Moon. Um pulsante mix assassino e de desconstrução musical com referências pós punk e industriais aliado ao art noise e idiossincracias desconexas como Butthole Surfers. .

Um extensa discografia de eps e singles no bandcamp do The Dirty Sun demonstram a genialidade de James.

Para dançar e ouvir extremamente alto em qualquer inferninho para iniciados.

***** Interview with The Dirty Sun *****



Q. When did The Dirty Sun start, tell us about the history…
The Dirty Sun is a fairly new project of mine……..just a few months old. I have been in many bands playing different genres of music mostly with a punk rock edge. Experimental Industrial music has always been the most fun for me to create and seems to be what I gravitate to. In the past I have had recording projects that I consciously made music to challenge the listener. With The Dirty Sun I set out to do the same but with a more accessible nature. Not sure if I am achieving that but I am happy with the sounds.

Q: Who are your influences?
My influences are first and foremost Einsturzende Neubaten. I also love Gary Numan, early Cure, The KVB, early Butthole Surfers, Spiritualized, Scratch Acid, Chad Van Gaalen, etc….I listen to bands for many reasons……some because I really like the way they make me feel, others because of their recording process and the way they approach music.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
The Butthole Surfers- Psychic…powerless,

Another man’s sac Einsturzende Neubaten- Ende Neu
Gary Numan- Telekon
The Horrors- Primary Colors
Stiv Bators- Disconnected

Although- Siouxsie and the Banshees “Hyaena" is probably the best sounding album ever recorded…..in my opinion.

Q. How do you feel playing live?
I love playing live especially when you can make it a multi media experience with films and strobes and such. The visuals are important to me and fun to put together. I haven’t had a chance yet to play The Dirty Sun’s music out yet as it is so new and I have not put together a band yet. It would be easy for me to stand on stage with a guitar and synths and trigger samples but that is not what I want The Dirty Sun experience to be. I am looking to gather a band in early the fall of 2015 after I have recorded a bunch more songs.

Q. How do you describe The Dirty Sun sounds?
Hmmmmm….dark, pulsating, edgy, vintage synths blended with new technology, Nu Gaze, robotic punk, surreal, cinematic


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
It can be different from song to song. Sometimes I hear sounds in my head and attempt to recreate them…..sometimes I somewhat succeed and other times it turns out entirely different than what I envisioned. I also will sit down and just simply start recording without any notion of where it will lead. I usually will start with building drum tracks, then come up with a bass line, and then start layering synths and guitars over it. Through the process I will mix and edit as I go. Many times I will record a bunch of tracks and if it does not hit me the way I want it to I will start from scratch leaving only the drum tracks intact. If the songs have a semblance of vocals they are always last. I also use found metal, plastic containers, etc…..and run them through contact mics. I will then process them through either Soundtoys, Eventide H3000, Blackhole, and/or Glitchmachines.

Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
The KVB- http://www.thekvb.co.uk

Scraps- Scraps is a one women band from Australia and she is awesome- https://www.facebook.com/5CRAP5?fref=ts

Youth Lagoon- he is a master at ever changing drum beats through out each song.

The Soft Moon- pure genius

Q: Which band would you love to make a cover version of?
Lords of the New Church. I doubt I could pull off their look though.

Q: What´s the plans for future….
To keep recording and putting out music that I like to listen to. I plan on releasing a set of vinyl 45’s in the late summer and will have a cassette version of a few songs in the next month.The first side will be my favorite Dirty Sun songs and flip side of the cassette will be one song…...23 minutes of synth and guitar noise.

Q: Any parting words?
Start recording music and start a band if you haven’t already. Anyone can do it…..seriously. Make the music you like listening to and put zero thought into whether anyone will like it.
*
*
*
Thanks

https://thedirtysun.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/thedirtysun