quarta-feira, 20 de maio de 2015

To Bring You My Love with Shana Falana - An Interview


Set Your Lightning Fire Free acabou de ser lançado mês passado pelo duo Shana Falana, além dela, Shana Falana o outro lado do duo é composto por Michael Amari, e o resultado desta combinação explode em profusão de espiritualidade em formatos oras ruidosos já em outros intimistas e quase contemplativos, um álbum definitivamente complexo e possuído. Um exemplo perfeito dessa maravilha é Go, uma poderosa combinação de sensualidade vide os vocais de Shana quase que evocando o ouvinte a adentrar a fúria da canção tudo isso envolvente a um hipnótico wall of sound.

Daqueles discos que tornam-se obrigatórios desde os primeiros acordes.

Genial.
***** Interview with Shana Falana *****



Q. When did Shana Falana start, tell us about the history...
Shana Falana started in San Francisco in 1995 out of a DIY scene/venue in the mission district, with the likes of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, Miranda July, Kyp from TVOTR and many others... I was influenced by all the music around me and started making my own, thus leaving SF for NY in 2003 to pursue my own music career in the Brooklyn music scene.

Q: Who are your influences?
I love Kim Gordon, PJ Harvey, Lisa Gerard (dead can dance), all the 4AD bands of the 90's, Hugo Largo, anything dissonant and/or drenched in reverbs, I love medieval music!

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
1. PJ Harvey, To Bring You My Love
2. Mazzy Star, So Tonight That I Might See
3. Black Angels, Directions To See A Ghost
4. Julianna Barwick, The Magic Place
5. Sonic Youth, Day Dream Nation

Q. How do you feel playing live?
Depends on if we have a soundcheck and how the sound guy mixes all our backing tracks! I also sometimes forget that our projections mesmerize the audience and so when we are live and I see them with blank faces it can throw me off... but these are small things over all, I love playing live!

Q. How do you describe Shana Falana sounds?
Like being in a church, with sub-bass tones rummbling your guts, lyrically-chanty and hopefully a sense of spiritual atmosphere that lifts you up and heightens your senses!


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs?
We worked with Dan Goodwin of Isokon Studio's in Woodstock NY, he is super supportive and intuitive, it was the fastest and easiest time I've ever had in a studio, I usually have to argue a bit about the amount of reverb I want or how I want to record my looping chanty vocals. Dan just knew how to do everything, and we worked tracking for 7 days, I recorded the vocals in my bathroom and we were done after a few passes at mixing... He's my guy now, I loved this experience!

Q. Which new bands do you recommended
Love this question, Breakfast in Fur, Battle Ave, Monogold, Quitzow, INNIS, Buffal Sex Change, (all NY bands) Chastity Belt (Seattle), Broncho (Oklahoma) too many to mention honestly...

Q: Which bands would you love to make a cover version of?
I like covering Bauhaus, PJ Harvey, Ty Segall

Q: What´s the plan for the future....
Keep touring and recording, hopefully going back over to EU sometime next fall/winter!

Q: Any parting words?
Thank you SO MUCH, I love your blog! I'm a fan :)
*
*
*
Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/teamlove/shana-falana-go
https://www.facebook.com/ShanaFalanaNY
http://shanafalana.com/