terça-feira, 16 de outubro de 2018

Stranger Today with Our Girl - An Interview


Ouvir "Stranger Today", debute dos ingleses do Our Girl é imergir para dentro do universo das saudosas guitar bands noventistas.

O poder do álbum é claramente as guitarras poderosamente melódicas, e claro, os vocais pegajosos e viciantes. 

Ecos de Velocity Girl, Madder Rose, Pixies, vão se sucedendo no desfile das onze preciosidades do álbum, desde a deliciosa "Our Girl" até a epopeia final com "Boring".

"Stranger Today" é daqueles álbuns que quando se começa a ouvir fica bem difícil parar.

Grudento e perfeito, simples assim.


***** Interview with Our Girl *****


Q. When did Our Girl begin? Tell us about the history...
S - It began in spring 2014! I wanted the band to exist for a long time before that though really. I ended up writing a lot of songs in one go around that time, and Josh and I were friends already so started playing them together. Then we tracked Loz down in the summer and Our Girl properly formed!

Q: Who are your influences?
L- personally I really love Stella mozgawa from Warpaint, all just all of Warpaint really! I also love dave grohl, Stuart Copeland and ringo Starr’s drum fills

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
L- rumours - fleetwood mac,
come on feel the lemonheads- lemonheads,
funeral - arcade fire,
lullabies to paralyze- queens of the stone age
and grace - Jeff Buckley

Q. How do you feel playing live?
L- It’s great. I used to get really nervous before playing, but over the last year that’s really improved and I’m enjoying to play live more and more. It’s a very freeing experience! It looks chaotic, but I’m actually pretty calm on the inside.

S - Yeah Lauren’s got a good headbanging thing going on. I used to get really nervous too, I’d get such a bad stomach ache and couldn’t eat before going on. It’s completely changed though, I mainly feel excited before a show now! I find it very freeing too, it’s a kind of physical and emotional release that I don’t really get in any other area of my life.

Q. How do you describe Our Girl´s sounds?
L- it’s always tricky! I like people to make up their own minds. There’s loud bits and quiet bits, sad bits and happy bits.

S - Agreed. Some of it’s really heavy, some of it’s super quiet. I guess dynamic is a good way to describe it!

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
L- we like to record live, so we were all in one room together and then vocals and extra guitars and percussion were added on after.

S - Yeah I think that suits us best. So we can get the essence and feel of the song live first, the three of us just playing it in a room. Once we have that it’s a really exciting process to take time to experiment and layer sounds on top of that.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
L- I really love boy azooga, we toured with them earlier this year. They’re really great live and very sweet guys.

S: Yeah we love them! They’re friends with a band called Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard who we’re lucky to have coming on tour with us soon too.

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
L- I love great covers! Maybe a pixies song?

S - Me too! We did a cover of sad fuzz by ty segall that was really fun to do. Maybe Talking Heads?

Q: What are your plans for the future?
L- we’re going on tour in October around the uk, that’ll be our first headline so that’s really exciting!

S - Yeah I can’t wait to visit and play in lots of different cities, we’ve never played in a couple of them so that’s exciting!

Q: Any parting words
L- I hope we can visit you in Brazil one day!

S- Me too!!
*
*
*
Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/weareourgirl/
https://weareourgirl.bandcamp.com