Antioquia, Colômbia, mas poderia ser Londres, Los Angeles, Berlin, Tóquio, São Paulo, ou qualquer outra cidade do planeta, a música que o quarteto Hipsum emana de seu primeiro disco, "Rainbow Haze" é universal.
Um dreampop com os pés nos 80´s. Ecos de The Wake, Cure, e, conectando-se com Beach Fossils, DIIV e Hibou, os caras esbanjam aquele ar inocente e doce por entre cintilantes e melancólicas melodias.
Nada de novo, é verdade, mas o que é novo realmente, o ponto é que o Hipsum acertou em cheio, e isso basta.
***** Interview with Hipsum *****
1. We met at school, we had a particular love for music, I met Esteban (guitar) playing in a school project in 2016, and with Felipe (bass guitar) we had known each other for several years; the day of our graduation we were playing some covers, and then we disconnected.
I started recording a few covers in my home studio and I composed a song, an old friend suggested that we could start a project, so I started to write and record more songs, it was just him and me, so I recruited Esteban; Then we had a small discussion, and Esteban and I were left, then Felipe entered, and finally Miguel (drums), who was Felipe's friend, is now our friend :)
Q: Who are your influences?
2. Some of our influences are Beach Fossils, DIIV, Hibou, Soda Stereo, The Cure, some punk and rock of the 80s, beer, and being with friends.
Q. Make a list of 5 albuns of all time…
3. It's too difficult, there are more than five, even complete discographies, such as Soda Stereo, Beach Fossils or DIIV; in this list there is no order of favorites.
-A flourish and a spoil (The Districts)
-Sun structures (Temples)
-Boys don't cry (The Cure)
Many were missing :(
Q. How do you feel playing live?
4. At first, we feel a little nervous and uncoordinated, but as we see the good reaction of the people, we start to feel like we're in a simple rehearsal, we even let out a few jokes.
Lately nor at the beginning we feel nervous, because we know that people are there because they like it, it's very nice.
Q. How do you describe Hipsum´s sounds?
5. A kind of sweet and somber sounds, with a bit of mystery and haze. A very philosophical description. But technically it is a combination of several genres, such as dreampop, post-punk, shoegaze, etc ...
Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
6. There is no definite process, but most of the time I have a melody or an idea and I capture it at that moment in the "recording studio", then I compose the lyrics.
Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
7. In our city (Medellin) and surrounding areas, several bands have emerged with which we have been growing: Margarita siempre viva, Wait, Llueve en la montaña, Lobo estepario, Encarta 98, even others that are not so new, but that belong to this new wave, they are Arboles Vertebrados.
And internationally Launder.
I really don't know who else to mention, there are too many emerging artists who are doing their job very well.
Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
8. Well, from Beach Fossils we have two covers, which are Lessons and Sleep Apnea, and from The Cure is Fire in Cairo, but we are not very interested in continuing to make covers, we want to continue showing our own content.
Q: What are your plans for the future?
9. For this year we want to continue playing in our country and launch a new album in Spanish, and in later years show us abroad, but it really is not something that has us worried, we just like to live in the present even if we ask ourselves what will happen tomorrow, and it's better that way, just leting things happen, because having everything planned just loose the magic.
Q: Any parting words?
10. We are very grateful that you have met us and we have done this interview, it is a project too new and we didn't expect everything to happen so quickly.
We want to thank people like you, who make small projects spread and make more people come to stay and support the dream of young people.
Thank you very much and greetings.