quarta-feira, 28 de setembro de 2016

Snow Train with Moth to The Flame - An Interview


A junção de dois queridos do TBTCI, no caso Dave Han (ex Astral e Foreign Cinema) e Wendy Robinson (ex Popinjays) só poderia nos brindar com música mágica e magistral e claro, assim é o single de estréia deles "Snow Train/Tides of Time".

Ah, sim, ainda não mencione que Wendy e Dave atendem agora pelo nome de Moth to The Flame, e as duas preciosidades do debute são simplesmente pérolas do mais belo e majestoso dreampop com nuances remetendo a era soberba da 4AD.

Música especialmente feita para confortar alma e coração. Sublime.

***** Interview with Moth to The Flame *****


Q. When did Moth to the Flame start? Tell us about the history...
e met at Wendy's band The Popinjays reunion gig in London 2015. The Popinjays hadn't played a gig in 20 years. Dave had been a fan all those years ago and by serendipitous chance just happened to be in the UK and able to catch the gig. We met and a profound and immediate connection was made, that resulted in talking about the possibility of writing a song together. We wrote one song, Tides of Time...that just came so easily and sounded so good. Then another. Snow Train. Then another and another....and here we are ready to release the 7" and play live, less than a year later!

Q: Who are your influences?
(Dave) cocteau twins, slowdive, my bloody valentine, sigur ros, the cure, to name a few

(Wendy) Nothing is a direct influence as I don't wish to emulate anyone in how I write or sing. But early punk bands gave me the idea that anyone could do it..so I did!

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
(Dave)
goldfrapp - felt mountain,
siouxsie & the banshees - tinderbox,
captain beefheart - safe as milk,
air - moon safari,
beach boys - pet sounds

(Wendy)
Cocteau Twins: Treasure
Nick Drake: Heaven in a Wild Flower
Arvo Part: Tabula Rasa
The Chameleons: Script of the Bridge
Beach Boys: Pet Sounds

Q. How do you feel playing live?
(dave) i love it! being able to connect with an audience in a live environment is an amazing emotional communion of sorts, a harmonization of energy

(Wendy) When playing live I feel at home, totally in the present moment, excited and grateful.

Q. How do you describe how Moth to the Flame sounds?
(Wendy) This is not easy to answer! But there is a poem called 'I am in need of Music' by Elizabeth Bishop, that resonates for me in terms of our music:

I am in need of music that would flow
Over my fretful, feeling fingertips,
Over my bitter-tainted, trembling lips,
With melody, deep, clear, and liquid-slow.
Oh, for the healing swaying, old and low,
Of some song sung to rest the tired dead,
A song to fall like water on my head,
And over quivering limbs, dream flushed to glow!
There is a magic made by melody:
A spell of rest, and quiet breath, and cool
Heart, that sinks through fading colours deep
To the subaqueous stillness of the sea,
And floats forever in a moon-green pool,
Held in the arms of rhythm and of sleep.


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
(dave) I usually start with creating a melodic progression with guitar, program beats that work with that progression, then create a bass line that counter balances the guitar melody. Once I create the instrumental composition and arrangement, I'll email the instrumental to Wendy who then works her vocal/ lyrical magic!

(Wendy) When I see in my email inbox that Dave has sent me a new track I can't wait to hear it. And then I just listen. Give it my full attention. And then sooner or later melody and lyrics appear as if from nowhere. We record our separate parts, in our separate countries, 5000 miles apart. But come together in a small studio near my home in England to mix the final track. To mix together feels essential to me. To finish the songs together in person.

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
(dave) i generally do not like covering other band's music unless I can transform it in to something of my own style. So to decide on a song to cover, I need to be inspired.

(Wendy ) I would love to do a Moth to The Flame version of both Northern Sky by Nick Drake, and Into My Arms by Nick Cave. These songs move me deeply and have such beautiful melodies and lyrics, and I think Dave would do a really great instrumental track that would better the originals!

Q: What are your plans for the future?
(dave) i'm planning on bringing Wendy to California to kick off the 7" release in the US. We are also shopping the single around to record labels to help support a debut full length album.

(Wendy) I'm planning on flying wherever this flaming moth wants to go!

Q: Any parting words?
Thank you for liking our music and letting us contribute to your blog ❤️
*
*
*
Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/Moth-to-the-Flame-1708763926047255
https://mothtotheflame1.bandcamp.com