sexta-feira, 8 de agosto de 2014

Message In The Sky with The Planets Collide - An Interview



Stephen Dunham é o Planets Collide que diga-se de passagem esta prestes a lancar seu debut, isso mesmo, prestes a lancar, ou seja cheira o frescor a magia e as viagens de algo absolutamente novo, mas cuidado, o novo pode te pegar de tal jeito e fazer você viciar ao extremo,

Message in the Sky é a música que esta no soundcloud e no bandcamp da banda e puta que pariu, não dá pra ouvir uma vez só, você escuta e coloca de novo e de novo e de novo e comeca a voar literalmente de acordo com a letra da música.

Ecos de Chapterhouse, madchester, ou tudo junto e misturadíssimo.

Me arrisco a dizer que se alguém descobrir isso, vai virar o hit do verão nas terras da rainha, e vejam o Planets Collide é da Austrália, a água daquele lugar esta infestada de ácido eu acho viu.....

Não percam tempo, viciem-se com o Planets Collide

***** Interview with Tha Planets Collide *****


Q. When did Planets Collide start, tell us about the history...
A: The Planets Collide is a sound that I started developing about a year or 2 ago. The previous band I played in was sort of a mixture of Shoegaze and Psychedelic music. I've always, as a musician been into the idea of experimentation as an art form, making music that sounds strange or unfamiliar but can also capture a listener's ear. I'd previously wrote most of the music I was doing on guitar, however one day I was walking down my street and saw a nice early 70s organ on the side of the road with a sign on it saying 'Free', I picked it up and ever since I've started to write a lot of material on organ instead of guitar and after many night's of staying up until 4 or 5 in the morning recording and experimenting with different sounds I started to develop the sound of The Planets Collide.

Q: Who are your influences?
A: I like a lot of different music, all the way from 60s Psychedelia to 90s Noise rock/Shogaze, Dance and Gansta rap. Stuff like Primal Scream and Spacemen 3 are hugely Influential on my sound, however I think you can hear a lot of different influences in it.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
A: Such a hard question! as I said before I like lots different music, it will be hard to pin point down my top 5 and I'll probably end up thinking I missed something out so I'll just mention 5 albums that I can think of from the top of my head, not in any particular order:

'Screamadelica by Primal Scream' (1991)
I remember when I first heard 'Higher than the Sun" off this album and as soon as the breakdown came in around the 2 minute mark I was hooked! This album is one big party from start to finish, filled with youthful energy. Whenever I put it on, I always feel like getting up and moving or attempting to create something as good as it, maybe one day!

Playing With Fire by Spacemen 3 (1989)
This band has inspired me a great amount, I'm huge fan of drone music and these guys no doubt took it to a whole other level with there repetitive 2 note drones and feed back, but there was something else to Spacemen 3 other than just the noise, they also had the ability to write great songs. It took me a while to pin-point down my favourite Spacemen 3 album and I came to the conclusion I dont have a favourite! However I decided that I'd talk about "Playing With Fire" as I think that all round, this is there essential album. It has everything from intense noise/feedback jams to soft acoustic songs such as 'So Hot (Wash Away All Of My Tears)'. For me the highlight of this album is easily 'Suicide'.

White Light/White Heat by The Velvet Underground (1968)
Another situation where its very hard to pick! The Velvet Underground are easily one of my favourite bands. They have influenced me greatly and as much as I love The Velvet Underground and Nico and their self titled album, I decided to go with White Light/White Heat. This album was far before its time, it is filled with chaos, noise and beauty. It changed music in many ways and was one of the first punk records ever. For me the stand out track would have to be the self titled opener. Whenever "White Light/White Heat" comes on blasting, I get excited.

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd (1967)
I think in terms of sheer Psychedelia this and the next album I'm going to talk about are it for me. I remember the first time I heard Matilda Mother off Pipers, I was going through Youtube videos and some how came across it, my music taste were quite different at that period of time, it was also the first time I'd heard anything from Pink Floyd pre Dark Side Of The Moon. I remember it sounded foreign to me but I was very intrigued. Then it became all I listened to, I remember going to school the next day and telling a friend how id found the kind of psychedelic music i was searching for! putting me on a path of discovering more great psychedelic music like The Grateful Dead, The 13th Floor Elevators and so much more.

The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators by The 13th Floor Elevators (1966)
From the reverbed out rockabilly guitar to the electric jug and Roky Erickson's incredible voice this is one great album! The 13th Floor Elevators style of psychedelia was quite unlike anyone else at the time. At times dark and unnerving but always with a light at the end of the psychedelic tunnel. Not only is it filled with great tunes but great lyrics as well! Their jug player Tommy Hall wrote most of the lyrics it seems. I can't think of a stand out track for this one; every tune is as good as the last.

Q. How do you feel playing live?
A: At this time since I'm recording this material by myself I am not playing it live, however I have a couple of close friends who are happy to help me play it live, so I guess it's just a matter of rehearsing and figuring out how I'll go about it. Im sure it will happen eventually.

Q. How do you describe Planets Collide sounds?
A: A mixture of Old School Dance, Space Rock, Noise and Psychedelia with a modern edge.


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
A: I have a bit of recording gear at home, so usaully it will start from coming up with a riff or a melody, then I'll record that down and work from there. I rarely start off a song with lyrics already written down but it does happen occasionally. I recorded this EP with my good friend Ben Simms from Violet Swells down in his studio in Hobart. We have known each other and played music together for nearly 10 years, so he has a pretty good knowledge of what im going for as a musician and i knew that going down to record with him would be a good move. He took on the role of engineer and also ended up taking on a bit of a producer roll as well. The original plan was to just go down and record a single over the weekend, but about 4 days beforehand Ben pitched the idea of recording a full EP instead since I had more material. The work was cut out for us since we only had 2 days to get down the whole EP but it ended up being very cruisey. We looped a lot of the drums and stuff to speed up the recording process which I think added to the sound of the EP more than anything else.

Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
A: Arrrrh, there is so much good music and plenty of talented musicians making waves out there in this day and age! I'm sure there is plenty of great artist who haven't been discovered yet to. I guess I'd recommend Jacco Gardner and his 2013 release 'Cabinet Of Curiosities'

Q. Which bands you love to made a cover version?
A: There is plenty of bands I'd love to record a cover of! I have plans to record a couple of Spacemen 3 covers, but I'd love to do a cover of something that wouldn't really fit my music. I 'd try to make it completely different to the original so it would work. Something vintage like "I Only Have Eyes for You," by The Flamingos would be great to do that kind of thing with!

Q. Whats the plans for the future..
Well the my first plan is to get this EP released! At this time its still being mixed and ready for mastering, but it should be released within a months time. Future plans are to write and record another EP/Album by the end of the year, I'd also like to get a band rolling so I can play live and save up a bit of money so I can buy some more recording gear, among other things.

Q. Any parting words?
A: First off thanks for taking the time to read this interview. This is all new to me so I'm very appreciative of the support I'm receiving. I thought I'd leave you with a quote I like from Sonic Boom of Spacemen 3 "Basically, one chords best, two chords cool, three chords ok, four chords average". Thanks for reading.
*
*
*
Thanks Stephen Dunham.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Planets-Collide
https://soundcloud.com/the-planets-collide
http://theplanetscollide.bandcamp.com/releases