Doces e ensolaradas melodies com influências de dreampop e shoegazer, leia-se Lush, o Star Tropics em seu segundo single encanta demais.
Dois música simplesmente que deveria se tornar hits instantâneos, Summer Rain e Swept Away são daquelas pérolas para se ouvir repetidamente e bem alto.
Star Tropics para uma vida melhor.
***** Interview with Star Tropics *****
Q. When did Star Tropics started, tell us about the history...
Loren: I met Scott a few years back when I overheard him playing Smiths songs on his guitar. I heard the familiar sounds coming from an open window of his home as I was walking by, so I gave the doorbell a ring and he invited me in to hang out. I wouldn’t normally classify myself as the type of person to do something like that, to just knock on a stranger’s door, but I was so caught up in the moment that I just had to give it a shot. Needless to say, we got along great and I was really impressed by his playing, so we decided to start a band that day. We had a few false starts, but we eventually met Nikki and Dan which completed our lineup. The four of us have spent the last few years writing and playing out, it's been a blast so far.
Q: Who are your influences?
- Sarah Records and the internal monologue of Angela Chase.
Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
This list will probably change tomorrow, but here goes:
- Rodney Allen - Happysad
- The Popguns - Eugenie
- The Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
- Pale Saints - The Comforts of Madness
- OMD - Architecture & Morality
Q. How do you feel playing live?
- We enjoy playing house shows over a proper venue, any day. Lately our normal frequentcy is playing one show a month in Chicago, but we would love to play more shows out of state and tour around to any city that will have us. Both Nikki and I are pretty shy, so we playfully bicker over who has to stand in the vulnerable center stage spot.
Q. How do you describe Star Tropics sounds?
- Equal parts celebratory and introspective.
Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs?
- Probably to our detriment, we demo the shit out of our songs before we consider recording them in a studio. We recorded our last 2 singles with our friend Brian, who has really taught us a lot about the recording process and helped us mature into a better band.
Q. Which new bands do you recommended
- To name a few:
Gloss - Fellow dreampopers that we met a few years ago. We became fast friends and hope to play more shows with them in the future.
Panda Riot - Their most recent album, Northern Automatic Music, is a fantastic dreampop/shoegaze record.
New Canyons - For those who like dark synth/cold wave. The atmosphere of their recent album, Everyone is Dark, is incredible.
Landmarks - A mix of dreampop/and psyche, their new EP is very chill and a fulfilling listen.
Q: Which bands would you love to make a cover version of?
- In the past we have covered The Field Mice - Sensitive and Teenage Fanclub - Star Sign, but we are currently searching for a new cover and hope to have something ready for our next show. We’d love to cover Judy Staring at the Sun by Catherine Wheel
Q: What´s the plan for the future....
- We have so many songs written at this point, we are just trying to find the best way to release them. We are pleased with how our recent songs turned out (Summer Rain and Swept Away) so we are eager to keep recording and release more material soon. We would love to have an album completed within the year. Fingers crossed, of course.
Q: Any parting words?
Thank you for granting us our first interview! We love your blog and it’s been a privilege to be included. Feel free to friend us on facebook to stay up to date on our goings-on. facebook.com/strtrpcs