Sascha Navarro Mendes, francesa, criou seu alter ego Lux´s Dream quando deixou definitivamente o ambiente da música clássica e entrou de cabeça na música moderna, digamos assim.
Criando texturas etéreas, delicadas onde com sua voz, seu piano cria a ambiência perfeita para as inserções de synths climáticos criando em sua própria perspectiva "Dark Glitter Songs".
Fantasmas de Radiohead, Air, Coco Rosie permeiam suas criações, mas a ambiguidade sonora de Sascha faz com que estas conexões tornem-se apenas referências.
Existe sim, inteligência na música moderna e Sascha é prova viva disso, aguardamos ansiosamente o próximo EP da Lux´s Dream, que virá ao mundo muito em breve.
***** Interview with Lux´s Dream *****
1. Lux's Dream was born at the same moment I began to leave the world of classical music and turn to modern music and sound synthesis. It was a relief for me to dedicate myself more into creation than interpretation. I always wrote texts. I enjoy and study the process of writing music from poems for singer and piano. So, for me it was obvious to start from those texts to make songs. And then, more and more I meet musicians who appreciate my music, with whom I exchange ideas, sounds, and that develops my project towards what I discover, what I like, what I listen ... It is all the time in motion and full of surprises and I like it!
Q: Who are your influences?
2. I started playing music with classical piano, and I liked a lot interpreting works from composers of the XXth and XXIth century, as for example Debussy, Georges Crumb or Schostakovitch...
Today, when I listen to music records, I'm very sensible to sound design and production technics. So, I'm always inspired by the sound quality and arrangement of records from artists like Radiohead or Björk for the most known. I also like the " home-made production " type with very raw sounds as in the first albums of Cocorosie or still some tracks of Aphex Twin.
Q. Make a list of 5 albuns of all time…
3. Hail to the Tief, Radiohead
In Utero, Nirvana
The Virgin Suicides, Air
La maison de mon rêve, Cocorosie
Druqs, Aphex Twin
Q. How do you feel playing live?
4. I always loved playing gigs. I started singing only since the beginning of Lux's Dream, and being more used of playing piano gigs, it was difficult to face the audience. But today I find that it is always a magnificent experiencee to share its music by looking at the others in the eyes. It is emotionally very challenging, but it brings me a lot of joy; I experience gigs as a beautiful exchange of love which fills me with positive vibes.
Q. How do you describe Lux´s Dream sounds?
5. Lux's Dream sounds are what I call "Dark Glitter Songs", it's about turning into music texts that I write mainly about states of souls and experiences. I try to express them as I felt them in the moste acurate way possible. It is a mixture of a lot of light, but also the demonstration on a very dark side of myself. Finally, it gives well contrasted sounds, with many nuances and very pronounced biases.
Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
6. There is an enormous part of the creative process that takes place only at home, in my home-studio in Lyon. The writing of texts, the composition, the research of synths-sounds. And then I record and mix demos. Then, I go to professional studio : it allows me to go further in my search of sounds, while recording and mixing with the sound engineer. I take songs even further, in a universe I had not imagined yet but still echoes in me.
Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
7. I can speak to you of bands which are not necessarily new, but which I discovered recently and which I recommend to you. I think of the Canadians Braids, thus sounds are magnificent and the singer has an exceptional voice. I also think of the producer R. Ariel, who I was lucky to open for this season: a very dark environment as I like them, and beautiful raw sound-design. Finally, a beautiful surprise opening at the last gig I went to see: I discovered Methyl Ethel, a band from Perth in Australia, pop a little dark with beautiful synths and a quality singer!
Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
8. To be honest, I worked for my set on a song of Radiohead of which I made a cover : it is Street Spirit, from the album The Bends. I love playing it live, and I believe that the audience too.
Q: What are your plans for the future?
9. Hem ... Maybe a world tour? (laughing) In reality, I believe that I would like to work on Lux's Dream "expanded" version, for the gigs at first, and why not then for collaborative creations with a group of musicians I admire.
Q: Any parting words?
10. At the moment I work on an EP, I will record very soon and will be released in fall 2017. It will be released by l'Affect Records, a young very promising label from Lyon. It is as usual about personal compositions, but for the occasion I created a song with a very talented electronic music producer: Dalhas Umaï. I look forward to share all this, I also look forward to play a lot of gigs for this occasion!
You can hear an extract here : https://soundcloud.com/sacha-navarro-mendez/hollow-shell-1