terça-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2018

Reverberation with The Kundalini Genie - An Interview


Há um ano atrás começava a jornada garage lisérgica dos escoceses do The Kundalini Genie.

Alguns singles durante o decorrer do ano passado e a redenção em Dezembro com o primeiro álbum, "Reverberation". Aqui não há o que dizer, temos psicodelismo rasgado sessentista aos montes, garageira 60´s, fuzz, e o cheiro da nova cena psych da atualidade.

Um disco pra ser degustado em alto e bom som, sem interrupções, porque no final, vai ser inevitável não dar play novamente.

Viciante é pouco.

***** Interview with The Kundalini Genie *****


Q. When did The Kundalini Genie begin? Tell us about the history...
A: The Kundalini Genie was formed as a concept almost exactly one year ago. It started as an outlet that Julia and I created for our music and artwork, and quickly evolved. We had our first gig in march so there's an argument to be made that we also technically formed then as that's when we first cut our teeth.

Q: Who are your influences?
A: I'm influenced heavily by a lot of bands, if I was to make a comprehensive list I'd forget so many bands and regret it. I'm mainly influenced by 60's psychedelia, indian classical music and modern psych, however I love funk, jazz, the blues, hip-hop, ambient and experimental music too.

Q. Make a list of 5 albuns of all time…
A: In no particular order:
The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Deja Vu
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Rodriguez - Coming From Reality
Donovan - Sunshine Superman

Q. How do you feel playing live?
A: It's hard to describe. I feel shitty, worried, excited, ecstatic, sad, overjoyed, I feel like I'm the most powerful person in the room and I feel like I'm just kidding myself on. Sometimes my mind wanders and I think about silly stuff. It all changes quickly, depending on how good the crowd are, how good I feel and am playing, how good the band are playing, etc. Mostly I just feel like it was over pretty quick. Feels like I spend so long building up to a gig that's over in the blink of an eye before I've really processed any of those emotions I mentioned.


Q. How do you describe The Kundalini Genie sounds?
Well the current album has been described as heavily 60's sounding and I agree, we were definitely going for that with this album but that definitely doesn't describe our sound. By the end of our career we will have albums of experimental backwards sitar weirdness, heavy grunge psych, acoustic blues and funk and jazz, etc. I hope to eventually not be considered a band that is tied to one genre, or sound.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
Not enough time, arguments, strokes of genius, evolution, improvisation, irritation and the worlds best feeling of accomplishment at the end.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
Ghost Dance Collective, Filth Spector, Black Cat Revue, The Valkarys, The Durty Wurks, Triptides, Frankie and the Witch Fingers, Timothy Eerie, The Vibe, Ghost Dance Collective again.

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
We have covered a few great bands already, Reverberation by the elevators, pictures of matchstick men, cortez the killer by young, I really want to do Mr. Soul next.

Q: What are your plans for the future?
In the same position but marginally more successful and with more albums.

Q: Any parting words?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all.
*
*
*
Thanks

https://the-kundalini-genie.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheKundaliniGenie/