Grata surpresa aqui no TBTCI o novo Ep do quarteto de Nashville, Best Friend.
Um dream pop daqueles de se emocionar, feito especialmente para embalar os devaneios mais apaixonados. Shallow o lado A do single é uma beleza pop perfeita, já Still There coloca mais ruídos mas de forma sútil e melancólica.
Que venha o álbum cheio do Best Friend, certamente será belo.
***** Interview with Best Friend *****
1. The band started in high school with me (Peter), Brad and David trying to sound like the band Girls, but we realized that was a bad idea and started making whatever came natural to us. That was years ago, and now we're like a different band. We added a bass player and started listening to better music, I guess.
Q: Who are your influences?
2. Our influences constantly change, but maybe like Galaxie 500, The Smiths, and Built to Spill to name a few. We're always talking about Pavement and Titus Andronicus at practice it seems like, though we sound nothing like those bands.
Q. Make a list of 5 albuns of all time…
3. Ray Parker Jr - Ghost Buster's Theme
David Bowie - Heroes
Kirk Van Houten - Can I Borrow a Feeling
Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Q. How do you feel playing live?
4. We feel fantastic playing live.
Q. How do you describe Best Friend sounds?
5. It's kind of hard to describe your own band, but we try and keep it pretty simple in the instrumentation and see how much stuff we can do with guitars before anything else. It's not shoegaze, but it's music that takes a lot of influence from that genre.
Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
6. Our guitar player, Brad King, is a talented producer/engineer and has a studio in his house. So we do pretty much all of our recording there. I make demos on my own and then we rearrange them and record them there.
Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
7. Some great bands that we've played with that we love are Twin Studies from Atlanta. They make the best shoegaze I've ever heard, and they happen to be okay people. Wildfront from Nashville make great dreamy music and are great to play with. Brian Keathley, who was my English teacher in high school, is maybe the best songwriter I've ever met.
Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
8. We did a cover of The The's "This is the Day" and so that was cool. We always play covers live, and that's fun. But recording them is kind of hard when we're also trying to record our own songs.
Q: What are your plans for the future?
9. Our only plans for the future are to keep writing, recording, and playing shows. We've been recording an EP in the last month, and after that comes out we'll start recording another one.
Q: Any parting words?
10. New music out next month! Thanks Renato! And seriously check out the bands I suggested. They are much better than us.